Advantages and disadvantages of allowing patients to read the notes that physicians and other providers write about their office visits and hospital care are explored in this short Modern Healthcare article. The movement towards greater transparency of care is explored further on the website OpenNotes. Here are some of the providers that are exploring this concept.
Who is doing this?
- Geisinger Health System (Danville, PA)
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston)
- Sutter Medical Foundation (Sacramento, CA)
- MUSC Health (Charleston, SC)
- Harborview Medical Center (Seattle)
- Mayo Clinic
- Kaiser Permanente Northwest
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- UCHealth (Denver)
Sources: Livingston, S. (2017, Jan. 2). Growing number of doctors allowing patients to read their notes. Modern Healthcare, 47(1), 14-15. Click here for publisher’s website: http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20161231/MAGAZINE/312319982; and, OpenNotes. www.opennotes.org Posted by AHA Resource Center (312) 422-2050, firstname.lastname@example.org