See Dec. 2014 list update ranking United Healthcare, Anthem, Aetna, Cigna, & Humana as largest plans.
AIS Health has ranked the largest 25 health plans based on December 2013 medical enrollment in all models of fully insured and self-insured health plans [does not included specialty benefit enrollment]. Leading the list are:
- UnitedHealthcare [40.3 million enrollees]
- WellPoint [31.2 million]
- Aetna [21.3 million ]
- Health Care Service Corporation [13.8 million]
- Cigna [13.1 million]
Also available for the same period are separate rankings for:
- Top 10 Blue Cross Blue Shield Organizations by total medical enrollment
- Top 10 health plans by commercial risk enrollment
- Self-insured vs. full-insured medical enrollment breakdown for top 10 health plans
- Top 10 health plans by managed Medicaid enrollment
- Top 10 health plans by Medicare Advantage enrollment
- Top 10 health plans by individual [non-group] commercial enrollment
- Top 10 health plans by total group risk enrollment
The rankings are from the 2014 AIS’s Directory of Health Plans, but a later 2015 edition of the Directory is currently available for sale.
Source: Health plan business – data – enrollment. AIS Health, accessed July 15, 2015 at http://aishealth.com/health-plan-business/data/enrollment [Free site registration required to view listings] See Dec. 2014 list update.
Johnson C. With Anthem-Cigna deal near, the health insurance industry is headed toward a ‘big three’. Washington Post Wonk Blog, July 22, 2015. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/07/22/with-anthem-cigna-deal-near-the-health-insurance-industry-is-headed-toward-a-big-three/
Keckley P. Health insurer consolidation: implications for hospitals and health systems. H&HN Daily, Aug. 3, 2015. http://www.hhnmag.com/Daily/2015/August/keckley-insurer-consolidation-effects
Posted by AHA Resource Center (312) 422-2003,email@example.com