The AMA has released results of its 2014 Physician Practice Benchmark Survey, and here are some of the findings:
- In 2014 a third (32.8%) of physicians worked directly for a hospital or were in a physician practice at least partly owned by a hospital, an increase from 29% in 2012. While comparable AMA data is not available prior to 2012, it is estimated that in 2007-2008 about 16% of physicians worked for a hospital or hospital-owned practice.
- The share of physicians directly employed by hospitals grew from 5.6% in 2012 to 7.2% two years later. A quarter of physicians worked for hospital-owned practices in 2014.
- Single specialty group practice is the most common practice type, but multi-specialty group practices have increased.
- The portion of solo physician practices has shrunk from 43.8% in 1983 to 18.6% in 2014.
- Physicians under age 40 or female physicians were most likely to be employed by a practice, hospital, or other entity.
The report also provides data on the size of physician practices, based on the number of physicians in the practice.
Source: Kane CK. Updated data on physician practice arrangements: inching toward hospital ownership. Policy Research Perspectives, American Medical Association, July 2015. http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/health-policy/x-pub/prp-practice-arrangement-2015.pdf [free site registration/login required to view/download]
Commins J. 6 in 10 physicians work in small practices. HealthLeaders Media, July 9, 2015. http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/page-1/PHY-318354/6-in-10-Physicians-Work-in-Small-Practices
2014 Survey of physician practice and contracting arrangements with hospitals. American Hospital Association, April 2015. http://www.ahaphysicianforum.org/resources/leadership-development/survey/index.shtml [AHA member-only report; employees of member hospitals/systems have member access]
Posted by AHA Resource Center (312) 422-2050, email@example.com
Filed under: Future trends, Medical staff, Physicians, Posted by Diana Culbertson | Tagged: hospital physician alignment, medical group practice size, physician employment, physician group ownership |