The Healthcare Supply Chain Association has a brief FAQ-type primer that has some interesting statistics about group purchasing organizations (GPOs).
- 600+ organizations provide group purchasing services
- About 30 of these are big GPOs
- On average, 72 percent of hospital purchases are made through GPOs
- Just about all hospitals use GPOs
- The first GPO was the Hospital Bureau of New York, created in 1910
Source: Healthcare Supply Chain Association. A Primer on Group Purchasing Organizations: Questions and Answers. Retrieved from http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.supplychainassociation.org/resource/resmgr/research/gpo_primer.pdf Posted by AHA Resource Center (312) 422-2050, email@example.com