FAIR [Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting] is out with a new analysis of the think tanks most often cited by the media, one indicator of think tank influence. FAIR also looks at the political perspective of the most-cited think tanks, classifying them as centrist, left, right, progressive, or libertarian.
While health policy think tanks are not the focus of the review, many of the groups listed address health policy as well as broader issues.
The most media-cited think tanks topping FAIR’s analysis of 2011 news stories and where they fall on the political spectrum were:
- Brookings Institution [centrist]
- Heritage Foundation [conservative]
- American Enterprise Institute [conservative]
- Council of Foreign Relations [centrist]
- Center for American Progress [center-left]
- Kaiser Family Foundation [centrist]
- Cato Institute [conservative/libertarian]
See the article for the complete list with the frequency that each group was referenced by news sources.
Source: Dolny M. Think tank spectrum revisited. FAIR: Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting, June 2012. http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=4549 SEE UPDATE: http://fair.org/extra-online-articles/fair%E2%80%88study-think-tank-spectrum-2012/
See related post: Top health policy think tanks
Posted by AHA Resource Center, (312) 422-2050, firstname.lastname@example.org