Results of a 2010 survey on complementary and alternative medicine [CAM] services being offered by hospitals are now available. Here are highlights of findings:
- Massage therapy, acupuncture, and guided imagery were the top outpatient CAM services offered by reporting hospitals, while pet therapy, massage therapy, and music/art therapy ranked at the top of the list for inpatients.
- Top wellness services offered to patients were pastoral care, nutrition counseling, and smoking cessation. For hospital employees, stress management, fitness training, and smoking cessation were most prevalent.
- Patient demand was the leading reason for hospitals to offer CAM services.
- Since most CAM services are not covered by insurance plans, the services were most often self-paid by patients.
- Most CAM programs cost under $200,000 for start-up.
- For hospitals discontinuing CAM programs, poor financial performance was the primary reason.
The survey was a collaboration between the Samueli Institute and the American Hospital Association/Health Forum, with support from the U.S. Army.
Source: Ananth S. 2010 complementary and alternative medicine survey of hospitals. Samueli Institute, Sept. 2011. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.samueliinstitute.org%2FFile%2520Library%2FOur%2520Research%2FOHE%2FCAM_Survey_2010_oct6.pdf&ei=WGB6U-nJD4SbyATayYKIBQ&usg=AFQjCNGxBK6bTFa8lpkniVjgAEBcUjGXlg&bvm=bv.67229260,d.aWw
Related resources: Firth K; Smith K. 2010 survey of healing environments in American hospitals: nature and prevalence. Samueli Institute, 2012. https://www.samueliinstitute.org/file%20library/our%20research/ohe/2010-ohe-report-finalpdf_2012-1-3-web.pdf
Firth K; Smith K. 2007 survey of healing environments in American hospitals: nature and prevalence. Samueli Institute, 2011. http://www.samueliinstitute.org/file%20library/our%20research/ohe/ohe-hospital-survey-final-report-2007.pdf
Posted by AHA Resource Center, (312) 422-2050, firstname.lastname@example.org
Filed under: Benchmarking, Hospital departments, Patient care, Posted by Diana Culbertson | Tagged: acupuncture, art therapy, biofeedback, Complementary and alternative medicine, dietary supplements, guided imagery, hospital service lines, hospital wellness programs, Integrative medicine, massage therapy, music therapy, pet therapy, reiki, spa services |