This new report is a guide to laying the groundwork for successful physician-hospital integration, the integration options to consider, and how to evaluate those options. Twelve strategies are offered hospital leaders for successful alignment:
- Understand the forces affecting physicians and design options for meeting the needs of local physicians.
- Understand the hospital or system’s capabilities and infrastructure in the community context.
- Ground integration efforts on a financial plan with sufficient resources and performance targets.
- Ensure strong physician participation, leadership and governance.
- Use technology to connect with physicians.
- Do an objective assessment of organization readiness for value-based care transformation efforts.
- Use a disciplined and integrated approach to practice acquisition and physician employment.
- Document and communicate the degree to financial commitment required to employ physicians.
- Model alternative compensation arrangements before employing physicians.
- Structure effective and sustainable compensation programs for physicians employed.
- Manage employed physicians to achieve goals.
- Use a structured process to ensure a sustainable and consistent venture over time.
Interwoven into the discussion of strategies are examples from hospitals and health systems.
Source: Cullen SC and others. A guide to physician integration models for sustainable success. Health Research & Educational Trust/American Hospital Association and Kaufman, Hall & Associates, Sept. 2012. http://www.hpoe.org/Reports-HPOE/guide_to_physician_integration_models_for_sustainable_success.pdf
Halley MD. Owning medical practices: best practices for sustainable results. Health Forum/American Hospital Association, 2011. Purchase details at http://ams.aha.org/EWEB/DynamicPage.aspx?WebCode=ProdDetailAdd&ivd_prc_prd_key=48a43cee-9de8-49e8-b0fc-b3445003ff3b
Johnson BA. Physician compensation plans: state-of-the-art strategies. Medical Group Management Association, 2006. Purchase details at http://www.mgma.com/store/Books/Physician-Compensation-Plans/
Welch SS. Annotated model physician-hospital employment agreement. American Medical Association, 2011. Purchase details at http://amascb.pdn.ipublishcentral.com/product/annotated-model-physicianhospital-employment-agreement [Free access for AMA members]
American Medical Association – Physician employment web site: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/about-ama/our-people/member-groups-sections/organized-medical-staff-section/physician-employment.page?
American Hospital Association – Physician Leadership Forum web site: http://www.ahaphysicianforum.org/
Posted by AHA Resource Center, (312) 422.2050, firstname.lastname@example.org
Filed under: Best practices, Hospitals, Integrated delivery, Medical staff, Physicians, Posted by Diana Culbertson Tagged: | clinical integration strategies, hospital-physician integration, medical group acquisition, physician employment, physician practice acquisition, physician-hospital integration